Nonetheless...

A little madness, a little kindness, makes for happiness

Monday, January 31, 2005

your girl is lovely...

I just couldn't go without writing about this today. My weekend was full of musical-good company-yummy-love-goodness. I already explained the SLO and Santa Barbara visits complete with lovely music, friends, and fun, but great things can happen locally too! As proven last night. After an instinctual feeling and 1 hot tip, I determined that Jason Mraz would be the "very special guest" with Tristan Prettyman opening for Gregory Page's cd release party at Lestat's coffeehouse. Or as he called it, his "premature release" party (since not all the cds were done printing). I was able to recruit Clark and Lana as my dates for the lovely occasion. We arrived at Lestat's at around 6:30 and got in line behind a group of about 8. As the evening progressed that 8 turned into 10, then 12, then 14 and so on as their friends and family (literally, an entire family ~ mom, dad, cousins, bros, sisters, etc...) continued to get in line. As the line behind us grew quickly, it became very apparent that I was not the only one hearing/feeling that Mraz would be the guest star this evening. As people continued their attempts to squeeze in front of us in line, a plan was forming with the three of us and soon "the V" was developed. Clark took charge of the right side (complete with getting into a mild confrontation or two or three...ahhh, my hero.), Lana held down the middle and I swooped to the left. Thus creating a blockade of sorts. When the doors finally opened around 8:30pm "the V" was in full effect and we met up perfectly at the entrance. The plan continued as Lana and I searched for the best seats we could find and Clark was on a mission to buy GPs new cd before they all sold out. While most people ran for the chairs, I went for the front floor directly in front of the stage. (ah-ha I guess SOME people don't know that small venues will end up clearing out all the chairs if too many people are coming in!) Somehow we managed to get right in the front without anyone in front of us. It was awesome.

As I made my way to the bathroom before the show started, Tristan Prettyman stopped to ask me what my shirt said. (black with pink writing 'Make Love, not conversation'). I forgot about the whole my-back-and-butt-hurts-from-sitting-on-the-floor thing shortly after the show started. Tristan, just off tour with G-Love, came on first playing her set very well...and the poor thing was sick. She explained to us all that her boyfriend got her sick. (hmmm...) As she was about to leave she said, "oh I forgot, there's a hot guy here that I'm going to bring up to sing with me", of course, Mr. Mraz appeared from the backroom. Looking fly in his long sleeve button down shirt and tie, dark red sweater vest, jeans, and his latest trademark hat. Before the song started she made some comment about Jason getting her sick. Too cute those two. Tristan and Jason played "Shy that way". Always a good jam. They really are adorable. I'd love to pretend I hate TP for being Jason's darling, but I just can't. They are la-la-la-lovely together. Jason then stayed on to play a few songs. Mr Curiosity, Plain Jane/simple girl/stay free (not sure of the actual title) and another song that I can't remember. I took some great pics and had a great time sitting right in front of him in awe. I adored Gregory Page's set as well. He was simply divine with his presence, his shorter-short-stories, and new tunes. Overall, it was a truly great night for me to see 3 of my favorite musicians playing to a packed house of admiring fans and friends. After the show, I asked Clark to take a picture of me and GP. Just had to have one. I really enjoy being able to support local musicians and I feel so lucky to live in a city with such an alive and thriving local music scene. So while some would rather watch Switchfoot, Pinback, and Blink 182 rock it out, I think I'll stick with these guys when it comes to local music. (Although, that won't stop me from going to the Trendiest show this side of Cochella this Saturday night and I still dig Unwritten Law and Sugarcult...) As I've often explained, jeans and flip flops aren't just my style of dress, it's my lifestyle ~ and these guys are jeans and flip flops musicians. Could I have had a better weekend? With the next 4 weeks bringing more concerts, a Vegas trip AND a Seattle trip...we shall see...

XO Smile for the love of the music XO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home