Nonetheless...

A little madness, a little kindness, makes for happiness

Friday, November 12, 2004

Spread the love

Mmm...I will forever be in debt to Britt for introducing me to Spread in NorthPark. Spread, is a fairly new, funky vegetarian restaurant that also sells gourmet, homemade peanut butter. This WhiteChocolatePretzelPeanutButter rocks my socks. I also picked up it's sister spread...the DarkChocolatePretzelPB. I'm currently enjoying the chocolately-pretzely-peanutbuttery goodness of it on my toasted bagel. Oh boy, when that starts to warm and melt just a bit...good times. This fairly discreet, self described nouveau comfort food restaurant is tucked away on University Ave and I kid you not when I tell you I drove around the block 10 times at 8pm on Wednesday night looking for this place. Apparently, it's "directly across the street from Claire de Lune". Oh, I see it now. Thanks.

Is this delectable treat truly a peanut butter you may ask yourself? Well this very question was posed during a very 'am-I-in-high-school-again' lunch time discussion here at my office. "Well sure it's peanut butter," two of us PB lovers argued. I mean, of course it is... right? The main base of the product is, in fact, peanut butter (or almond butter if you so prefer, because this fantastic place also makes gourmet almond butters! Hooray!) and therefore, I feel that it is indeed a peanut butter. A peanut butter spread. I'm flexible with the term. Nothing to get worked up about. However, there was one particularly set-in-her-ways participant in this discussion that refused to allow our treat to be called a peanut butter! A spread? Yes. That was allowed. But under no circumstances, should the tasty treat be called peanut butter. And god forbid if I would have called it PB! Whoa now, all hell could have broke loose. As I listened to my Spread guru make her argument in the most polite way possible, I heard our PB nemesis announce that if there are numerous items mixed in, it's no longer Peanut Butter. My point of argument came rushing to me. "Okay now, how about this..." I proposed, "what about cream cheese? They have cream cheese with chives, salmon even. Is that no longer cream cheese then?!" A-ha! I just knew I had her with this one. To which she replied, " no. it's not cream cheese. It's a spread!" Dammit!!! Why?? Why can't I make this person see the light and realize all that is good within the delicious treat of treats and just call it freakin peanut butter!!?? Alas, we never came to a compromise on the topic and my PB guru and I bowed out gracefully and moved on with our day.

I hadn't thought about the conversation again since, but today, as I continue to enjoy the yummy-goodness that is my WhiteChocolatePretzelPEANUTBUTTER, I thought of a few more examples that could have possibly won my case for me on that fateful PB discussion day. #1 - Ice Cream. Cold Stone Creamery is a perfect example. When I mix in raspberries, strawberries, and a Twix bar with the sweet cream ice cream...is it no longer ice cream?? Of course it's still ice cream! Come on! #2 - Pancakes. When I mix blueberries and/or walnuts and/or granola in with the batter, is the finished result no longer a freakin' pancake just because I added some extra tasty treats?? Of course it's still a pancake!! (disclaimer: I have not, nor will I ever, actually put walnuts in my pancake batter.-- but I have seen it done)

As I finish my Spread-alicious bagel, I will fight the urge today at lunch to bring up this topic again. Breathe in, breathe out. Ahhh. I am calm. I will not bring up this topic again. But if one person tells me that the added fruit in my yogurt no longer makes it yogurt...we're gonna have serious problems up in here.

XO Smile like you just ate luscious peanut-buttery goodness XO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home