Nonetheless...

A little madness, a little kindness, makes for happiness

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Excerpts from previously unpublished blogs

Fortune is as fortune does
...This leads me to wonder what exactly fortune means anyways. The dictionary defines 'Fortune' in more ways that I expected... 'success especially when resulting from luck', 'A person's standing in life determined by material possessions', 'Extensive amounts of material possessions or money', 'a hypothetical, often personified force that favorably or unfavorably governs of one's life,' and ' a foretelling of one's destiny'. When I have the opportunity to add my own notes to the Webster Dictionary, I plan to add --> Fortune: Publishing in magazine form of which it's sole purpose of existence is to promote greed upon greed. (as a side note I'll add: My ex-boss probably has a subscription AND gives subscriptions to loved ones as Christmas gifts). Also, leading me to a brief tangent about when people say "money is the root of all evil". It's not the money, it's the people and how they react to money. Therefore, wouldn't it make more sense to say, "People are the root of all evil" ? Just a thought....

Put your shoes on little girl...
...growing up is a funny thing. It happens all of a sudden. It's like one minute, you're the oldest person at the kids table then the next, you feel like someone is going to offer to cut your steak for you at any moment at the "grown up table"....

Starting over and moving forward
....And you wake up one abnormally warm May morning, two and a half years after you first heard "traffic is at a stand still on the 15 Southbound through the 163 merge," and IT hits you. You can find your way just about anywhere in this beautiful city and you know to go Starbucks in Bird Rock for a mocha and the Sunday Union Trib, then head to the Law street lawn for some weekend relaxation. You can go for a drive down Carroll Canyon when you feel the need to exercise your race car driving skills. And two and a half years later, you know that Bookstar in Point Loma will certainly have the book your looking for, the cool postcards you didn't quite need and the music you hadn't yet thought to buy. You can pick up nachos at Taco Express downtown before heading to the art gallery no one knows you go to then go to Balboa park and sit by your favorite garden that was, coincidentally, dedicated to the city on your birthday. And two and a half years after you cried because you didn't think you'd make here alone, you wake up and know that it's more than a beautiful city full of mystery and grace, it's home..and it's where you're supposed to be.

Get it?
...my companion showed me a picture of his friend and stated that "(this friend) gets me". I loved that, he didn't seem to think much of it, but as he continued with his stories, my mind wandered... To have someone "get" you. I just love that idea. And it could very well be one of the sweetest compliments I've ever heard someone say about a friend. The comment lead me into a spiral of thought trying to determine, who "gets" me? My sister would probably come closest to that award. But even my sweet sister, she doesn't know everything. My goodness, I can't imagine if she knew "everything"....

On love, In....
...and maybe your fear will subside. You'll become comfortable with the fact that this is, indeed, real. One day you'll wake up and realize that he's not going to get sick of you and you're not going to get sick of him, and you're a good team. And one day you'll come to the conclusion that you don't have to be scared, because this is what it means to feel like you could spend the rest of you life with one person. And maybe you'll type those words and your stomach will ache as you do so...but you type them anyways, because you can't run forever. And your excuses don't work anymore, because not all stories end the way you thought they did. Sometimes there are surprise endings... and sometimes, the surprises are really just the beginning.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger *britt* said…

    i wish i could see this city from the eyes of a SD-transfer; i tend to take advantage of what i know, and leave the rest for "oh, i'll get to it". in my 25 years in this city, i don't think i could come up with "the best"s of anything.

    you'll have to show me around...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home